November 09, 2021
The average American throws away 70 pounds of clothing per year, and according to a recent report from the Environmental Protection Agency, only 15 percent is recycled. Luckily, there's one type of denim that's helping reduce waste: merino denim. It's definitely one of our favorite natural fiber innovations.
Merino wool just happens to be the perfect fiber for jeans – durable and breathable – and making it into fabric requires fewer chemicals than other types of cotton. And as if those perks weren't enough, this material also has some pretty amazing (and enviable) characteristics. Read on for five reasons you should love merino denim as much as we do!
1. Merino denim is made of wool, which has excellent thermal properties
2. It's also super soft to the touch and won't stretch out over time (Merino wool provides natural stretch, which allows us to omit synthetic fabrics that are bad for the environment such as elastane)
3. The material is environmentally friendly because it can be recycled or composted at the end of its life cycle
4. Finally, merino denim doesn't need any special care - just hand wash in cold water with a mild detergent and hang dry!
5. Merino wool garments have a longer lifespan than cotton garments and require less washes due to Merino's odor management properties.
6. We’ve created a capsule of Merino denim offerings in (4) of our signature silhouettes: Discover GEORIGE'S Merino Denim Capsule
This is innovation in denim. This 54% Merino 46% cotton yarn is woven in the traditional denim 3x1 twill weave. The result is the strong and durable fabric we know, elevated with the soft hand and benefits of merino wool. This is the blue denim you know and love, with an ultra-luxe twist.
This 100% merino wool fabric is woven in the traditional denim 3x1 twill weave. This olive color is great as the seasons change. Grab it in our jacket and pants. Then break them apart as separates for a versatile set.
This is innovation in denim. This 100% merino wool fabric is woven in the traditional denim 3x1 twill weave. The result is the strong and durable fabric we know, elevated with the soft hand and benefits of merino wool. This true black fits into any occasion - casual to formal.
Shop GEORGIE's Merino Denim Capsule: here
For more information on Merino denim, The Woolmark Company is a great resource for more educational materials.
New to the world of Georgie?
Book a 1-on-1 virtual appointment where we can run you through our iconic silhouettes, our library of bespoke and responsible fabrics, and how to properly find the perfect fit and size.Book Here
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more…